Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Nervous Romance

This is Woody Allen's take on a romantic comedy. I must say I thought it was very...er....I guess intuitive is the word I would use. It's the same story you've all heard. Two people who are basically polar opposites are attracted to each other. It's good for a while, then they break up. And a few years later they see each other again on good terms, even though both of them have different lovers. The thing that makes this movie interesting is Allen's breaking of the "fourth wall." The fourth wall, which is derived from theatre, is an imaginary wall through which the audience views the action happening in the play. To break the fourth wall is to acknowledge the audiences existence and often times to speak directly to them. There are several scenes in Annie Hall in which Allen uses this technique to describe his feelings about relationships. Here's a perfect example: This man is hilarious...this is what makes me like Woody Allen so much is his unconventional way of filmmaking. ~PSH

4 comments:

clnferl said...

I like how the conversation with the director and professor plays into a more general statement about Alvy and his relationships.
-Colin

Preston said...

yeah. Allen is good with his words. and the whole thing remains hilarious...

SuperBade said...

I thought that the most insightful parts of the movie came when Allen talked directly to the audience. This was a part of the film I thought was really cool and I'm glad you wrote about it. I had no idea it was called the fourth wall or anything like that.

These breaks helped give the audience extra insight into what was going on on-screen and it also served to wake you up whenever the movie started to drift on. It's a little creepy when the movie starts talking to you the first time and you're not ready for it.

And I agree the whole thing is hilarious.

SuperBade said...

That post was from Superbade