Sunday, March 9, 2008

Purple Rose of Cairo

Here's my thought. What the %$^#? This is a movie about a movie character (not actor mind you) who magically walks off of the screen during a movie to run away with this girl so they can fall in love and kiss and then the screen will fade out just before they make love. Well sorry Mr. Allen but I ain't buyin' it this time. Your other movies were funny, and although this one had it's moments, I have to say I don't know why it got good reviews. Where was the wit? The kind of humor that you have to think about? All of the things that I had found to be defining parts of Woody Allen's films were absent. All of the jokes were very uh...well I guess the only word I can use to describe them would be "American." That is to say they were instantly satisfying, a lot of one liners with no intelligence behind them. That and both the leading characters were idiots. Sure we're made to feel sorry for Cecelia but she's just a dumb broad who will believe anything the movie tells her. Oh and I have a question: is there a movie in which Danny Aiello does NOT play an angry Italian guy who beats people up? Granted the only other movie I've seen him in was "Do The Right Thing" where he play an angry Italian guy. But really, if such a movie exists, please tell me. ~PSH

3 comments:

SuperBade said...

After watching this movie I had a hard time grasping the reality of it and it seems to me you did too. Pretty much what the #$%^@. But I think taking the plot line too seriously ruins the point of the movie. I think you'll like Colin's post because he commented on the lack of Woody Allen wit in this film as well. I agree that the jokes we've grown fond of were absent in this movie, but I don't think that dooms it. This movie made me think - about pretty much anything - just to make sense of it. So while you may not get that same "thinking" sensation out of the jokes, it's still there, just in another form.

Preston said...

yeah i could definitely see that. i still see this movie as more of that typical american comedy that's instantly gratifying. but you're right. it does make you think. and the first scene where Tom Baxter starts talking to Cecilia right in the theatre. and then he walks off the screen. like. literally. it takes you off guard and you have to think about why/how that happened and what reasons Allen could possibly have for writing the movie this way

clnferl said...

You overproductive mind probably stemmed from the lack of a coherent action in the film. A form of compensation. I just didn't see the intellectual or thematic abyss I was supposed to dive into. I don't even see how Allen dummied his material. Even dummied material is amusing; and this film was not even remotely amusing. Out of all the movies I had on HBO, it was this one. Mea culpa.
-Colin