Thursday, April 17, 2008

Robert Altman

This man has one of the most cynical views of the human race as anyone I've ever known. Of the movies that we watched, all of them included something about greed, deception, and murder. Seriously. I don't understand where he gets all of these ideas from. Maybe it's just that every experience he had with other people was a bad one. That's the only reason I can think of as to why he would have such a negative viewpoint. As for something a little more reasonable, I can see where he gets his ideas about Hollywood for "The Player." If someone with such a cynical view on people already spends all of his time around the type of people that work in Hollywood then I can very easily see where he gets his inspiration for a movie about how horrible and corrupt the movie making industry is. Yeah. ~PSH

6 comments:

Kate said...

I have a small news flash for you: people suck. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but we're living in a pretty crappy world full of shitty people who are just "in it" for their own personal gain. So while I have no argument in the fact that Altman had a very very negative perception of the human race, that perception is absolutely founded in reality. I think what catches you and others off guard is Altman's extremely straightforward portrayal of these kind of people. He shows us the real scum, the scourage of the universe. But it's true. There are people like that. Lots of people. I guess you can take it or leave it. Yeah.

Cole said...

Dude altman is frickin empty of a soul that's pretty much what i gathered from these movies too.

clnferl said...

Misplaced self-loathing? I bet the amateur shrinkhead could really work wonders on Altman.
--Colin

SuperBade said...

I think the picture you chose pretty much sums it up. He's an angry lookin man!
I would like to think, perhaps too optimistically, that Altman's other movies are a bit happier. But the themes you gathered are right on and it's fairly doubtful the rest of his work is about bunnies and rainbows.

Anniessa said...

Kate- ain't that the truth.
Altman is merely gathering his inspiration from his surroundings. Sooooo ouch for humans.

—A.M. Landreville said...

"This man has one of the most cynical views of the human race as anyone I've ever known."

hahaha...I completely agree with that statement. However, I don't view that as a detriment to his work. I think it enhanses the realism of his many volumes of work. I loved all of his movie quite a bit because of the realism of his characters and the realistic choices they make throughout the film.